Saturday, March 18, 2017

can't even

I had a baby on International Women's Day - a beautiful, perfect baby girl named Brynlee. In some ways, I feel like a completely different person. My world has been turned completely upside down. I was expecting this but you never ever know how it's actually going to feel until it takes place. The whole I'd-lay-down-in-front-of-a-moving-train-for-this-tiny-human brand of love that people talk about? Yeah it's so so real.

But, at least for me, eleven whole days postpartum, it's not quite that simple. My world has not only been turned upside down, my body has gone through upheaval. After 29 hours (maybe I'll write about that next time), my body delivered my daughter and promptly transitioned into the next phase of motherhood. And let me tell you, this stuff is not for the faint of heart. They told me I'd be weepy, but good god, I didn't expect this. Yesterday, after a long day with my girl of what felt like constant feeding and feeding and feeding, Ryan walked in the door after work and I just started bawling. For no reason. Literally no reason. Then after I calmed down (barely), an ice cream truck drove down our street and all the neighborhood kids came outside to buy ice cream and I stepped out to watch and started weeping again. I didn't even know ice cream trucks were still a thing. And they still play the same song. Are you serious? There is so much good in this world and there is a friggen ice cream truck driving down my street and all the cute kiddos can buy ice cream in front of their house and they'll never forget it and someday Brynlee will run outside and buy ice cream and I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING.

Several times over the last week and a half, I've just looked at my baby and then looked at Ryan and been so completely overwhelmed with being so in love that I can't even. I used to say "I can't even" but that wasn't true. It wasn't true until now. Now, I literally cannot.

Today we went to Whole Foods to get lunch and a couple things we needed and just to get out of the house for a while, and after a few minutes in the store, I started to have a panic attack. Don't ask me why. I don't know. I rushed outside with my water and the clif bar I had stashed in my bag while Ryan finished up buying stuff and I had to remind myself, "You are safe, you are okay, you are safe, you are loved." I'm sure part of the reason was because I had only had a yogurt to eat up until that point and it was 1:00 in the afternoon. I have to remind myself to eat a LOT more when I'm breastfeeding, especially when my baby is a little bear and wants to eat all the time. Be it hormonal or due to lack of sustenance, it was a hard moment.

This afternoon, I was feeling super annoyed at how much I literally just sit holding my baby while she eats eats eats eats eat. And as I scrolled through Instagram, I saw a picture my friend posted - a picture of her with her arm around her friend, a mother that had to deliver her baby two months early. And now that sweet one lb, fourteen oz. baby will be in the nicu for the next two months to finish growing. I saw that and, again, I started to cry. I sat there cuddling my nearly eight pound baby, so so incredibly thankful that she is perfectly perfect and I am home with her and can feed her myself and she is doing amazingly well.

I'm feeling overwhelmed with love but also overwhelmed with a whole lot of other things. I've never felt so anxious while driving or so aware of all the stupid drivers around. I've never felt so completely out of control of my own emotions. Every single other mom that I've talked to about this has said to me, "This is so completely normal," and I cannot tell you how much better that makes me feel. Kindness and understanding and patience go a long way.

As do visits from your mom, even when they're just to deliver lunch.
As do sunflowers and a box of brownies when you can't even. Thank you, Ryan. I don't know what I would do without you.

All this to say - hi. I'm here. I'm figuring out this new me and it's scary and wonderful and really intense. But I am thankful for the kindness and love surrounding me.

Be kind to each other. Everyone is fighting a hard battle. Even when the battle is the best battle they've ever fought.




No comments:

Post a Comment