Thursday, January 22, 2015

some folks like to get away, take a holiday

I have wanted to go to New York for as long as I can remember. When I was 14, a friend got me a poster of the skyline & that baby was posted on my wall immediately. I fantasized about the city & about going to shows & then I turned 25 & I still hadn't been to New York. This was not okay. And then Cabaret (& Mr. Alan Cumming) went back up on Broadway & I knew that I had to go. I had to go. Right now. This was the time. "Life is in session." (that's a reference to The Switch for those of you that aren't familiar with Jennifer Aniston movies) So, I booked a ticket & that was that.



My first day in the city was one of the coldest days they'd had in months. "Stay inside! Wait until tomorrow!" all the newscasters were saying. Yeah right. I will bear the frozen tundra that is New York City even if my California bones are giving me hypothermia scares. 

 

My dear friend Bri (my hostess & one of the best women that's ever graced the earth with her presence) & I braved Times Square in the frigid weather for half price show tickets. And boy was it a solid decision. 


We scored tickets to The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time. It was one of the most magical experiences I've had. And yeah, I realize I'm a sucker for good theatre, but that's why I went to New York. Okay?! Okay.

Pizza to eat my feelings.


The next day we woke up to snow, so obviously Bri took us to Central Park.


 

Shake Shack gives In-n-Out a run for its money, man. Shooooot.


And I sniffed out some good Upper West Side coffee. It's natural, I guess. Born with it.


(practicing our Alan face. what else would you do while getting ready for Friday niiiiight on Broadwayyyyy)


(maybe our lips were stuck like that for most of the night?)


Studio 54 was perfectly Cabaret-esque. Dingy & cluttered with shirtless, eye-shadowed waiters wandering around selling beer & candy. Too good. 


The stage was absolutely amazing, but that picture is for me. Sorry suckers. 
(why go see a show on Broadway if you can just google the set?! not contributing to that problem. not sorry, actually)

Through a very strange & obviously destined twist of fate, I flew from San Francisco to New York seated next to a couple of friends of Mr. Cumming who would be staying with him that week. They were able to get Bri & me a special hello with Alan after the show & you could say that I was over the moon but that would be putting it way too lightly.


This is us freaking out backstage. Waiting for Alan & stuff.



It's not a big deal.


Magic.



 

Unfortunately, I did not see George, Jerry, Elaine, or Kramer. But, I did have a sandwich. 



another for the fellow Seinfeld fans out there


& the bar that inspired HIMYM where we spent my last evening in the city


And just like that, a childhood dream of mine came true. It couldn't have been dreamier.
Thanks for being so good to me, New York. I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment