Tuesday, August 6, 2013

your own truth

Sometimes, I really get sick of hearing people's formulas for life. Everyone has their own way of seeing the world and often that translates into boxed in definitions of love and satisfaction and fulfillment and adventure and everything in between. I'm tired of seeing those lists of "what to do in your 20s." I just want to say to whoever writes those, "Who gave you the right to suddenly tell all 20somethings what they should and should not be doing? What if I'm 24 and have or have not done half of them? Then what?" Ugh.
I believe in absolutes. Not a lot. A few. I believe in God. I believe in the importance of enjoying nature. I believe in the importance of being alone and being happy alone. I believe in the importance of reading. I believe it's important to love myself. I believe it's more important to love those around me. I believe in a few absolutes. I also see immense value in living your own truth. Maybe your own truth is your definition of security. Maybe it's coming to terms with knowing there are some things in life you will just never do. Maybe living your own truth is refusing to listen to everyone else's formulas that they've come up with for their life and realizing you're an individual with intelligence who is capable of coming up with your own formulas for your own life.
I guess that's where I'm at. I guess I'm learning that, because I am so weary of hearing people's formulas, I need to be careful when I speak into someone else's life as well. My formula will not work for everyone. It really probably only works for myself. And that's okay.


I also believe California is the most beautiful state in the Union.

5 comments:

  1. Standing ovation.

    I love this. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and how sick I am of people's expectations of how life should be. We all have different lives and paths and are meant to do things differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A-freaking-men! LOVE YOU!!!!!!! Let's hang out soon (unless I get some big grown up job and have no life).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this SO much. Thank you. As a fellow 20-something, I have to agree. I think it's those times when we get caught up in what everyone else says we should do is when we lose ourselves. Comparison is the thief of joy they say; our differences are okay! Not everyone needs to (or wants to!) do the same things in their 20's. I'm definitely sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I needed this so much. I too hate those lists- pre-doctored information that people think will work for everyone. Those people are simply ignorant. We each have our own paths of life, it's those experiences that makes us who we are, and that help us define our own truth. Your words are inspiring. Thank you so much for the sweet reminder. As a recent college graduate, trying to find her footing in life, it's important to know I'm not the only one out there that feels this way! Thank you!

    Cheers!
    Akshara
    Simply Akshara

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely, honest words. Like those above, I've felt the very same way and have expressed my feelings as well. I'm tired of posts on how to live, how to love, how to blog (oh I'm tired of the how to blog). Now I try and approach from a 'this is what I love and works for me,' 'here is my life and passions,' while always remembering and conveying that what works for one does not work for all. Sometimes it feels like everyone's running a rat race, checking off t's and dotting i's, trying to meet expectations, and forcing their views on others instead of just living the way they want and let the way they live be teller enough.

    ReplyDelete